Thursday, January 7, 2010

Food Memories


For the past three days I have had a "craving" for the potatoes that both my Mother and Grandmother cooked for me as a child. They are not whipped, mashed, au gratin, baked, or scalloped. They are not sauteed in white wine, red wine vinegar, or any other liquid accompaniment. They are simple. They are delicious and they are fried in oil with onions, salt, and pepper. I am quite sure my Mother and Grandmother added their own spices; however, I will never know what spices they were.

I haven't cooked these potatoes in a long time and for the life of me can't remember ever cooking them for my family. I decided that tonight was the night to feed my craving and prepare these for my family ( I wish Dave could have tried them). I filled the skillet with cooking oil, threw in red and yellow onions, added bell pepper, and tossed in the potatoes. I added salt and pepper as they cooked and said a prayer that they turned out just as I remembered. They did. ~e~



No comments:

Post a Comment

Not Lost In Translation